OKC Storm will start a competitive pom/cheer team in the spring of 2019. Coach Jenna Partain-Mayes will be joining our program with a very successful background in Coaching Cheer/Pom teams. You can contact her by email at email@example.com or 918-470-9004. See below for more information about upcoming clinics and tryouts
Dancers are required to attend all practices, performances, competitions, and meetings. Failure to do so could result in termination from team.
Senior Pom: 13-18 Youth Pom: 7-12 Mini Pom: 5-9
*Each squad must have at least 8 dancers to form a team.
*9-year-olds may be placed on either a mini or youth squad depending on skill level.
The age of the competitor as of August 31, 2019 will be the age used for competition purposes throughout the 2019-2020 season for Youth and Senior Age divisions. Example: Senior dancers cannot turn 19 on/before August 31,2019, and mini dancers must be 5 on/before August 31, 2019.
The purpose of OKC Storm Pom is to compete at local, regional, state, and/or national competitions. Occasionally, the teams will perform at Storm Basketball games. Once competition dates have been determined, the teams will be notified.
The teams may compete in pom, jazz, hip-hop, kick and/or variety depending on the skill level of the team and specific competition.
PRACTICES & ATTENDANCE
Practice days and times will be determined following tryouts & evaluations. All teams will have a set practice time one to two days per week depending on squad placement. Extra practices may be added throughout the competition season as needed. All dancers are expected to attend all practices.
The season will run from August 1st to the last competition of the season. Summer practices may be added to perfect skills prior to competition season.
UNIFORMS, COSTUME, MUSIC, APPAREL, ETC.
All costumes, music, dance movements will be decided on by Storm coaches based on age appropriateness, skill level, and dance style.
Items including uniforms, costumes, poms, etc. that is funded by Storm must be returned at the end of the season for use by future teams. Items that cannot be reused by others (shoes, tights, socks, etc.) will be paid for out-of-pocket and kept by dancers.
COSTS & DUE DATES – ALL TEAMS
Registration Fee: $50 (Due prior to evaluation/tryout)
Required for evaluation. Non-refundable unless a team number (8) minimum is not reached. No exceptions.
Upfront Season Fee: $625
Upfront fee due May 31st. Season fee may be broken into multiple payments. Payments that are not paid in full by 5/31 will incur an added fee of $100, which can be built into payment schedule.
Includes gym rental fees, uniforms, costumes, coach’s fees, choreographers, and at least 2 competition fees.
Dancers will be responsible for any hotels for competitions, any required shoes, and any additional gear that the season fee does not cover.
Fundraisers will be held throughout the season to reduce cost of additional items. All dancers are required to participate if they wish to benefit.
OKC Storm Prep Clinics – Location TBD
$10/dancer per clinic or $25 for all clinic days
Pom prep clinics are optional, but attending at least one clinic is encouraged for those interested in the 2019-2020 season.
At this clinic, you will spend time learning evaluation skills and tips. Also, during the clinic you will have an opportunity to meet Coach Mayes and ask any questions that you might have regarding the OKC Storm Pom Program. This will be a fun-filled clinic in a non-stress, non-pressure, and safe environment. Please wear clothing appropriate for dancing and jazz shoes.
Prep Clinic Dates: Location TBD
Senior Pom: Ages 13-18
– Tuesday, March 19th – 4:00-5:00PM
– Wednesday, April 24th – 6:00-7:00PM
– Monday, May 6th – 4:00-5:00PM
Youth & Mini Pom: Ages 5-12
– Tuesday, March 19th – 5:00-6:00PM
– Wednesday, April 24th – 5:00-6:00PM
– Monday, May 6th – 5:00-6:00PM
- Right & Left Splits
- Right & Left Kicks
- Toe Touch
- Grand Jete
- Double Pirouette
- Triple Pirouette (Senior Pom Only)
- A la seconde sequence (Senior Pom Only)
- Other skills that dancer wishes to perform (tumbling, jump or turn sequences, etc.)
OKC Storm Pom Evaluation/Tryout Days – Location TBD
Youth & Mini Pom – Wednesday, May 8th: 5:30-6:30pm
Senior Pom – Friday, May 10th: 4:30-5:30PM
- The following must be returned to Coach Mayes on your evaluation day or earlier.
- Storm Pom Tryout Application
- $50 Registration & Evaluation Fee
- 2-3 judges and coach will be evaluating/scoring the dancers.
- Try-outs / Evaluations are closed to the public including family and friends.
- Please arrive 30 minutes before start time.
- Pom evaluations will be held on a gym floor.
- Candidates should wear appropriate athletic or dance apparel (pants/shorts) in solid colors and jazz shoes. Proper undergarments must be worn.
- Hair and bangs should be secured back out of the face into a bun, ponytail, or braid. No distracting jewelry is to be worn. Gum chewing will not be allowed, and cell phones need to be kept away throughout entire tryout.
- On the day of the tryouts, a number will be drawn by each participant and recorded. The participants will then pair by consecutive numbers (starting with number 1, i.e., 1 and 2, 3 and 4, etc.) before trying out. Each pair will be in the gym at the same time during the evaluation process. All skills will be done one at a time in numerical order. Your pair will be dismissed from the gym following the dance. No one is to leave the tryout area until the coach dismisses you.
- Squad placement is final and will be determined by skill level. Space is limited on each squad.
A complete informational packet along with registration form can be requested by emailing Coach Mayes at firstname.lastname@example.org